POSITION OF THE WEST PAPUA COUNCIL OF CHURCHES (WPCC) CONCERNING INDONESIA-PAPUA VERTICAL CONFLICT SETTLEMENT AS FOLLOWS:
- KOMNAS HAM RI (INDONESIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISION) must support the resolution of the 4 root problems in Papua that have been formulated by the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI).
- KOMNAS HAM RI must support the statement of the President of the Republic of Indonesia, Ir. Joko Widodo on September 30, 2019 to meet with pro-Referendum groups.
- KOMNAS HAM RI must support the visit of the UN Human Rights Commission to Papua in accordance with the urging of 84 countries, the European Union and UN Human Rights Experts.
- The West Papua Council of Churches (WPCC) in its Moral Appeal, March 20, 2022, can assess the steps taken by KOMNAS HAM in the context of the Indonesian state image policy.” Therefore, the Papua Council of Churches urges KOMNAS HAM RI to support the official stance of the West Papuan Church Council (WPCC), in the Moral Appeal of 20 March 2022, as follows:
“To resolve the prolonged conflict in the Land of Papua, we remain CONSISTENT in urging a dialogue between the Government of Indonesia and the ULMWP (United Liberation Movement for West Papua), as has been done by the Indonesian government with the Free Aceh Movement (GAM) in resolving the Aceh conflict.
- Pastor’s Letter of the West Papua Council of Churches (WPCC) on 5 February 2021, as follows:
“President Jokowi, on September 30 2019, promised in front of the mass media in Jakarta that his party would like to meet with the ‘pro-Papuan referendum group’..so we believe that Indonesia/Jakarta will eventually negotiate with the ULMWP. Through this letter we collect the promise.”
6. On 26 August 2019, the West Papua Council of Churches (WPCC) also asked for JUSTICE from the Government of the Republic of Indonesia over the Papua issue as demonstrated to GAM in Aceh. .Vice President Jusuf Kalla actively encouraged dialogue with GAM which was mediated by international parties, while ULMWP was given the stigma of KKB faced with a military approach. .Therefore, we demand that the Government of Indonesia have a dialogue with the ULMWP mediated by a neutral third party.”
- West Papua Council of Churches (WPCC) in the Pastor’s Letter on September 13 2019, as follows:
“We urge the Government of Indonesia to immediately open up negotiations with the ULMWP as the Government of Indonesia has made GAM in ACEH a Negotiation Partner mediated by a third party; as the only best solution to bring permanent peace in the Land of Papua, in accordance with the Call of the Pastor’s Letter on August 26 which was read and submitted directly to the TNI Commander and KAPOLRI at Swiss-Bell Hotel Jayapura.
KOMNAS HAM RI must support the Negotiations between the Government of the Republic of Indonesia and the ULMWP mediated by a neutral third party such as GAM Aceh-RI in Helsinki on August 15, 2005.
The position of the West Papua Church Council (WPCC) is clear, so based on the instructions of the Moderator, Pdt. DR. Benny Giay, the West Papua Council of Churches will not have a meeting with KOMNAS HAM RI.
Jayapura, April 1, 2022
DR. Socrates Yoman
- President of the Fellowship of the Baptist Churches of West Papua.
- Member: West Papuan Council of Churches (WPCC).
- Member: Pacific Conference of Churches (PCC).
- Member of the Baptist World Alliance (BWA)..